Help us create this guide! We are hosting workshops to brainstorm and select the top climate actions for architects. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
Workforce: 121,997 licensed architects in the US, according to the 2020 Survey of Architectural Registration Boards (ncarb.org, 2021)
Job description: “An Architect, or Architectural Designer, is responsible for designing buildings to create unique and well-organized structures. Their duties include meeting with clients to discuss their vision, drawing up building plans and modifying their designs throughout the building process to maximize structural integrity.” (Indeed, retrieved 2022)
- Buildings generate nearly 40% of annual global CO2 emissions (architecture2030.org)
- Building materials (concrete, steel, aluminum, foam insulation)
- Building energy efficiency
- Changing ecosystems
- Four ways architects can fight climate change (aia.org)
- 8 Tangible Ways Architects Can Help Combat the Climate Crisis (architizer.com)
- Ten ways in which architecture is addressing climate change (dezeen.com, 2021)
- Crash course in direct building emissions: The Impact of Fossil Fuels in Buildings (rmi.org, 2019)
- Solutions for design and construction phases of a project: Reducing Embodied Carbon in Buildings (rmi.org, 2021)
- Resource library: Architecture and Climate Action (aia.org) — includes sustainable justice guidelines
Organizations & Communities
- Architects! Climate Action Network: ACAN is a network of individuals within architecture and related built environment professions taking action to address the twin crises of climate and ecological breakdown.
- Architecture 2030: A nonprofit that advances the development of sustainable, resilient, equitable, and zero-carbon buildings, communities, and cities
- GreenHomeNYC: GreenHomeNYC’s mission is to promote an energy efficient and sustainable built environment and to support green professional development in NYC.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 10 weeks
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes